7404 Hanover - empty lot across from 7376

This is the email saying we are ready to apply for 7404, the lot across the street from Adrian and Diana’s house.

everyone, I don’t know how to send email. I’m sorry to report this. @adrian mentioned this email below that we received on December 15th of last year. I thought I replied, but I only replied to Adrian and not the land bank. even worse I just sent the same reply 5 minutes ago, and thought I pasted in the address, and again only sent my response to Adrian.

This inability to use email is a serious impairment to Arcology progress. If you know how to use email and to follow up with people, we will write a grant to pay you. We might have owned this land by now.

Ps I finally replied to the Land Bank asking for a status update.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I’d like to follow up on our inquiry INQ-111395
to purchase the lot at 7404 Hanover. Per the forwarded
Mail below from Sara Elbohy, demolition is now complete.
Can you tell us what next steps are for considering our
Offer on this lot?

Thanks,
Paul

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: December 15, 2021 at 12:33:16 AM MST
To: Sara Elbohy selbohy@detroitlandbank.org
Cc: ppham@local-box.org, Adrian Laurenzi adrian.laurenzi@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Application to purchase lot at 7404 Hanover

Thanks Sara this is great news! We’ll definitely be following up.
Happy holidays and I hope we get a chance to catch up on land projects in the new year.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 14, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Sara Elbohy selbohy@detroitlandbank.org wrote:

Hello,

The demolition at 7404 Hanover has been completed and the property listed for sale through the side lot program as of 9/20/2021. Your neighborhood lot inquiry is INQ-111395, you can follow up on this inquiry by emailing inquire@detroitlandbank.org.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Sara Elbohy

Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 11:24 AM
To: ppham@local-box.org; Adrian Laurenzi adrian.laurenzi@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Application to purchase lot at 7404 Hanover

Hi Paul,

Thank you and happy new year to you too! The side walk replacement will take place in the spring once the winter weather passes. You can keep an eye out and once you see the sidewalk laid let me know.

Best,

Sara Elbohy

From: Quantum Magick metasorcerer@gmail.com On Behalf Of Paul Pham
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 2:09 PM
To: Sara Elbohy selbohy@detroitlandbank.org; Adrian Laurenzi adrian.laurenzi@gmail.com

Happy New Year, Sara! Hope everything’s going well with you at the land bank.

Thanks for the explanation below, it’s helpful to understand what’s going on.

Can you give us an update on the demolition process?

Best, Paul

On 11/18/2020 3:15 PM, Sara Elbohy wrote:
Hi Paul,

When a property is demolished it takes approx. 6 months after the building has come down to replace the sidewalk and complete the process. So if you are looking at other properties that have recently been demolished they are likely in the same status, but we can check on a case by case basis.
Adrian may be eligible to purchase through the Neighborhood Lot program. His neighborhood lot inquiry is on hold (INQ-111395) due to the ongoing demolition process. Once the demolition is complete, the neighborhood lot team will review the inquiry and list the lot if is eligible. A lot must be listed through the side lot program for 6 months before “graduating” to the neighborhood lot program.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Sara Elbohy
Project Manager I, Projects & Community Partnership
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday; 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
500 Griswold, Suite 1200 | Detroit, MI 48226
Main: 313.974.6869 | Direct: 313.989.4945
null null
The Detroit Land Bank Authority’s lobby is open by appointment only. Please note, the Guardian Building and the DLBA requires everyone entering the building to wear a mask. Visitors must make an appointment at least one business day in advance by calling your DLBA representative, (313) 974-6869, or emailing inquire@detroitlandbank.org. Please check the DLBA’s website for updates and closures.

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 4:49 PM
To: Sara Elbohy selbohy@detroitlandbank.org; Adrian Laurenzi adrian.laurenzi@gmail.com

Thanks Sara for the answer, sorry for the delayed reply. I hope you and things at the Land Bank are going well.

Do you have time for a quick phone call catchup today or tomorrow about the lot at 7404?

Since it’s been a few weeks since we spoke, I’m curious about two things:

• Can we know the City’s sidewalk demolition plans, and if any other lot in the city would have a similar “hold” on its sale by the Land Bank?
  • Would the Land Bank’s sidelot program would apply to us equally, since Adrian owns 7376 across the street? It is still within 500 feet of the 7404 lot.

Best,

Paul

On 10/12/2020 9:55 AM, Sara Elbohy wrote:
Hi Paul,

You would only receive a legally binding agreement (option or purchase) after the neighbor declines to purchase, regardless of where you are in the PPR process. You would have to complete PPR before closing.

Thank you,

Sara Elbohy

Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 6:08 PM
Cc: Diana Post dianaapost@gmail.com

Thanks Sara, this is very helpful, especially the R3-zoned parcels. Let us know if we can do anything to help the process.

Some questions we came up with after discussion is:

• After the sidewalk is demolished and the adjacent neighbor given the option to purchase, are we given the right (but not the obligation) to buy the lot? (Right of second refusal) This would help us determine if we should pursue other suitable lots in parallel, in case the neighbor purchase goes through.

• When do we sign a legally binding contract to the effect of the above, including the negotiated price of the lot? After the PPR is complete?

Thanks, and have a great weekend. I’ll be more settled into Detroit on the 15th, so I look forward to having you and your husband over for another dinner after that.

Paul

On 10/6/2020 10:26 AM, Sara Elbohy wrote:
Hello everyone,

To recap our conversation:
Sale received preliminary approval; however, 7404 Hanover is still in demo process. Will require 6-8 weeks to complete. After completion, the lot must be listed for sale through side lot program for 30 days. Last chance letter will be sent to adjacent neighbor.
For multiple houses on one lot, the lot would have to be rezoned. I believe R3 or higher would work, although this should be confirmed with PPR. PDD would also review driveway, parking, and set-back requirements through PPR. You would receive an option to purchase agreement with successful rezoning as condition to close.
If you decide to proceed with only 1 house on the lot, this would not require a rezoning. You could proceed with a purchase agreement with PDD design review as a condition to close.

Additionally, I’ve attached a list of R3 and up zoned parcels in LaSalle Gardens and Gratiot-Grant neighborhoods. LaSalle gardens pricing is around $1.30/sq ft; on grand blvd, the price increases to $3-$4/sq ft. Gratiot-Grant pricing is around $0.50/sq ft, including on Grand Blvd.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

null
Sara Elbohy
Project Manager I, Disposition
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday; 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
500 Griswold, Suite 1200 | Detroit, MI 48226
Main: 313.974.6869 | Direct: 313.989.4945
null null
The Detroit Land Bank Authority’s lobby is open by appointment only. Please note, the Guardian Building and the DLBA requires everyone entering the building to wear a mask. Visitors must make an appointment at least one business day in advance by calling your DLBA representative, (313) 974-6869, or emailing inquire@detroitlandbank.org. Please check the DLBA’s website for updates and closures.

Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 11:56 AM
Cc: Diana Post dianaapost@gmail.com; Paul Pham paul@invisible.college

Hi Sara,

It’s good to hear from you, and thanks for letting us know. I’ll coordinate with Adrian and Diana to see what times we can all meet.
Do you mean next Monday (Oct 5) , Thursday (Oct 8), and Friday (Oct 9)?

Best,
Paul

On 10/1/2020 5:03 PM, Sara Elbohy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have an update on your project – would you be available for a call Monday, Thursday, or Friday? I have open availability now, so let me know what time and I can send an invitation.

Thank you,

Sara Elbohy

Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 1:37 PM
To: Sara Elbohy selbohy@detroitlandbank.org
Cc: Diana Post dianaapost@gmail.com; Paul Pham paul@invisible.college
Subject: Application to purchase lot at 7404 Hanover

Hi Sara,

We are just finishing up the DLBA application for 7404 Hanover. We wanted to confirm a few things regarding the next steps:
Can we just email you to submit the application (as I think you mentioned before) or should we submit at http://app.detroitmi.gov/PropertyApplicationForm/ ?
You also said we need to submit an application in parallel with BSEED. I wanted to confirm is the screenshot below for the “Preliminary Project Review” the online application you were referring to?

Thank you Sara, best.

Adrian Laurenzi
Turn Off The App - Go Outside (TOTA-GO)

|| c: 520-971-3241 || adrian@totago.co ||

7376 owners are not eligible to buy 7404 as a sidelot

But they could buy it as a neighborhood lot if they don’t already have two neighborhood lots, after three more months have passed (June 15th 2022). I would strongly be in favor of crowdfunding loans from family & friends to help buy this lot at the $200 price, with transferring title to collective ownership as soon as possible. Im willing to transfer title of 3731 Northwestern to the same collective if we can gather enough interest from the neighborhood or potential buyers.

https://buildingdetroit.org/faq

We can also apply to buy the lot as a “Project Purchase” and reuse our existing plans for an A-frame, which the City previously was willing to accept.

https://buildingdetroit.org/development-projects

Thank you all for reading, open to any and all other ideas and feedback.

So we unfortunately can’t buy this lot as a neighborhood lot because we already purchased two neighborhood lots. I would have waited if I had known there was a two lot limit.

I am in favor of proposing to purchase the lot as a project pitch with one collectively owned A-frame house and garden space. I’m also open to turning over one of the neighborhood lots we own to the collective if that turns out to be a better option. However, the 7404 lot is considerably larger and better suited to growing given the sun exposure.

1 Like