March 2022 Meet and Greet

Hi communitarians, hackers, urban farmers, cooperators, and collectivizers:
It’s time for another meet-and-greet, as we slowly come to consensus and try to identify a common vision that appeals to all of us. Please feel free to come with questions, present an idea for feedback from the community, or just listen and meet like-minded folks.

I think other community members have projects they are excited about, and the floor will be open to anyone who would like to speak. Please reply here if you’d like to add anything to our agenda.

At the end, I’ll say a few things about NACA, a low-income mortgage company that I’ve started qualifying for, my desire to help other people qualify for a NACA loan to become a first-time homebuyer, and why I think a co-op or block club with majority NACA first-time homebuyers might be a good idea to help LaSalle Gardens continue to both grow and stay affordable for all of us long-term.

At 3731 Northwestern and Zoom, with members of the public joining from Meetup

Topic: Detroit Arcology Meeting
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 847 2596 7823
Passcode: 422302
One tap mobile
+17207072699,84725967823#,*422302# US (Denver)
+12532158782,84725967823#,*422302# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 720 707 2699 US (Denver)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 847 2596 7823
Passcode: 422302
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

@cryptogoth Thanks for posting, FYI that you did not include the Zoom link in the Google Calendar invite you sent out. I suggest you add that to the event description.

Also, I’m thinking it would be a good idea to maintain a master list of emails (and possibly also phone numbers for people who prefer text over email) to notify folks about events. I was thinking the most ideal way to do that would be have contact info associated with peoples Forum account. Is it possible do extract emails or mass email to everyone on the Forum? And do you also know if its possible for people to optionally add a phone number to their Forum profile?

1 Like

Thanks for the catch, Zoom link added to email invite.

I don’t know of a way to email everyone, which is a feature that should be used carefully. @mentions of screen names will send email / text , depending on peoples settings and preferences. If people signed up with their emails, then we have it buried in our database, but some people may prefer to keep their email and phone number private. Discourse is great for enforcing this “read when you want to” policy and I don’t want to spam people.

So on second thought, a Google calendar invite with everyone’s email addresses released to everyone else isn’t a great practice either.

There are some cool features like letting people sign up with their Facebook account, to avoid creating a new password:

I would recommend the Facebook way of welcoming new members, in case they don’t (want to) use email a lot.

Some great responses to our Meetup question: “What’s your ideal neighborhood?”

“older neighborhood. , know my neighbors”

“Nice but isolated. I would like to have a bigger studio space and a community of artists.”

“Current neighborhood doesn’t have the home values that I’d like, ideal neighborhood involves newer builds/homes all around”

“I will be joining via Zoom. I live in Dearborn with in-laws but have dreams of a homestead with others”

“Peaceful and crime free”

1 Like

Video recording of yesterday’s great meeting. Tons of great discussion. Personally, I’ll be processing a lot of it for awhile.

It sounds like Anthony is leaving Detroit in about two weeks for adventures all around, so if we’d like to take action on a farming program (I love the name ArcoAg) and have fresh vegetables this spring, summer, and fall, I think it’s best if we focus on that for the next two weeks, and we probably won’t get much else done (e.g. on legal agreements, 3731 house renovations).

Thank you @Adrian, @yfgame, Kareem, Carlosse, Sunni, and especially @AHatinger !

Some more links from Anthony’s ArcoAg materials
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/11MqTNWn7kuhAY9XE6SsBfriDiDMtKwTK

and general Detroit Arcology materials
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1KUlqbZBHN9M2N-gCl93QZ5cF-zXWKCLy