Questions for article

@adrian @cryptogoth @Dame

1 Like

QUESTIONS:
@adrian Can you give me a cpl lines on what drew you to Detroit — I know you wanted to be near your partner’s family — but what else particularly about Detroit and the neighborhood you chose?

@adrian Did you buy your house from an owner or land bank? Was it occupied when you bought it? Mind telling me what it cost?

And here is the link to the recording of our convo.

1 Like

I will also place quotes here for your review with some context.

Their goal is to create a “Community Investment Trust” — in which investors can pool resources to secure land and other assets, contributing labor and capital in exchange for ownership shares. Their vision is a neighborhood of affordable, community-owned and governed homes featuring green design features like community gardens and renewable energy. The group is working with the Detroit Justice Center on a pro bono basis to draft an operating agreement for the LLC.

“It connects with a combination of my interest in the environment and climate change, but also creating a better environment where I live,” Laurenzi said. “I see myself living in Detroit for a long time. I love living here.”

Pham hopes Arcology can be one of the success stories by staying grounded in local ownership. "I don’t want to be taken over by outside investors. I want to accept people’s loans, but I want the residents to have the final voting power."

1 Like

Finally, what day would it be possible for @adrian and @Dame to do a quick photo shoot at one of the houses? Needs to be by Tuesday at latest, sorry for the delay.

Photographer Nick Hagen is available Saturday-Monday. Would @adrian & @Dame be able to meet him then?

Can you give me a cpl lines on what drew you to Detroit — I know you wanted to be near your partner’s family — but what else particularly about Detroit and the neighborhood you chose?

I visited the city for the first time and the feeling and nature of the people felt exceptionally positive for me. I went to see some live music and biked around the city and got super good vibes from everyone I met. I also recognized it as a place with a unique entrepreneurial energy. There seemed to be lots of people working on businesses, art, projects, etc. that they are passionate about. Instead of the high stakes, high funding style of the coasts, the “startup” vibe in Detroit seems to be more down-to-earth and bootstrapper-oriented, which I see as strongly aligned with my own ambitions and style as an entrepreneur. Lastly, I was completely fascinated with the city for a variety of reasons, including its incredible architecture, unique history, and resilience.

Did you buy your house from an owner or land bank? Was it occupied when you bought it? Mind telling me what it cost?

I bought it from a private seller. It was not occupied. The price I purchased it for was $30K after closing costs.

1 Like

Finally, what day would it be possible for @adrian and @Dame to do a quick photo shoot at one of the houses? Needs to be by Tuesday at latest, sorry for the delay.

Either Saturday or Sunday should work for me.

@yfgame @slimbandana313 @Hmerrill heads u: can a photographer and @adrian @Dame come by 3731 for a photoshoot some time this Saturday or Sunday? No pressure, we can also choose one of the other houses if it’s not a good time. Thanks.

@ninaignaczak the houses at 3731 Northwestern and 16669 Log Cabin would be under construction / demolition, which would more actively convey the energy of the project but will be messy. Hopefully that’s okay with you and your photographer and the angle that you are going for.

1 Like

@adrian is your home in NW Goldberg or Lasalle Gardens?

And belated welcome Nina. We’re glad to have you with us.

You may also be interested in our “introduce yourself” section

Its in Lasalle Gardens